Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 31

Today I spent the day finishing up the "Case Studies" module on my Powerpoint, specifically the "hazardous materials" and "maintenance error" case studies. I continued reading accident reports from the NTSB and articles to find good representative cases for each of my risk factors. I settled on ValuJet flight 592 for "hazardous materials" and AeroperĂș Flight 603 for "maintenance errors." 
Especially for the "maintenance errors" module it was very interesting to read about the different representative incidents. This one was particularly striking to me because something seemingly so minor can doom a flight. Right before the incident flight, the aircraft was being repaired and the maintenance workers appropriately put tape over the static ports while polishing the plane. When they finished working on the plane, they neglected to remove the tape and that completely compromised the accuracy of the plane's instruments, eventually leading it to crash in the Pacific  Ocean. If the maintenance workers had spent 30 seconds removing the tape, this incident never would have happened. 

Tomorrow I will finish up any last minute changes that I have to make on the Powerpoint and I will begin writing my paper.

Here's the link to my recent version of the Powerpoint. Please download it instead of trying to view it in your browser: Powerpoint

No comments:

Post a Comment