Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 1

Today was the kickoff meeting for our projects. We learned about the expectations of what the "risk" group would accomplish this summer and a couple of the grad students showed us a case study involving transportation risk, specifically by way of rail. It was interesting learning about the many uses of ArcGIS in solving these transportation issues. I quickly began to realize the real world applications that this field of study can be applied to.

After the meeting we had a tutorial where a couple of the grad students showed us some of the basic features of ArcGIS, introducing the concept of layers, .shp files, and how to sort data by different attributes. I'm currently in the process of trying to install Windows and ArcGIS on my Mac, which has run into some complications. In the meantime, I've scanned through a couple different reference sources and the TRB website to learn more about this field of transportation risk. From the reference sources, it is pretty clear to me that the issue of transportation risk in aviation is relatively unexplored. I look forward to learning more about this topic in the next two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment